Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Grand Theft Poetry

The Dash of Life
Gravestones on the hill,
so many names,
so many lives,
gone.
It's not the date of birth
or of death
that matters.
It's the dash engraved between
death and birth that counts the most.
How do we choose to fill our dash
of life?
With sadness and fear,
or happiness and peace.
With meaningful relationships,
or bitterness and loneliness.
Will we have regrets
and unfulfilled dreams,
or will we have accomplished
our hearts desires.
Gravestones on the hill
marking life's lost,
but not erasing memories
left behind.

4 comments:

  1. I really like the idea of this poem. When I read it, I started to think about my own life and how I'm spending it. I like the part at the end that says "not erasing memories left behind," like the person lives on in the memories of other people. One thing I would do to improve this poem is to work on the grammar so it adds to the meaning of the poem instead of distracting from it. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sticks out to me and I am sure it does to everyone. There are so many cemetaries and does anyone stop by in respect for those who walked before us?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naomi,
    i think you did a very great job! i really like all the emotions you used, it makes the poem more personal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Ms. Nash,
    I enjoyed this poem; I've heard the 'dash of life' idea before (perhaps the idea you stole) but you elaborated on the idea with excellence and unique quality. Great work!
    Sincerely,
    Genevive Louise Noette

    ReplyDelete